[pmapper-users] special characters and P-Mapper

[pmapper-users] special characters and P-Mapper

Chris Jackson
Hi all

I have a shapefile with a lots of place names across Europe and have several
with special characters like so - Spadenländer Spitze, Noard Fryslân
Bûtendyks etc.  The data is drawn and labelled correctly, however search
results throw out things like R�becker Sand and so do auto suggest search
drop-downs.  When you actually go to search data using the query tool on
this layer then the results don't load, but if I switch to another layer
(say cities) then all is well again.

What is the best way for dealing with such characters?

Thanks

Chris

Re: [pmapper-users] special characters and P-Mapper

Armin Burger
On 06/09/2011 17:00, Chris Jackson wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a shapefile with a lots of place names across Europe and have several
> with special characters like so - Spadenländer Spitze, Noard Fryslân
> Bûtendyks etc.  The data is drawn and labelled correctly, however search
> results throw out things like R�becker Sand and so do auto suggest search
> drop-downs.  When you actually go to search data using the query tool on
> this layer then the results don't load, but if I switch to another layer
> (say cities) then all is well again.
>
> What is the best way for dealing with such characters?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris

Chris

I would have some doubts that special characters in shapefiles for
labels on the map are just working without any ENCODING definition. The
same type of encoding you will need to define for the layer in general.
See the p.mapper manual for "encoding".

armin