[pmapper-users] Poor image quality on pmapper

[pmapper-users] Poor image quality on pmapper

Marcello Benigno
Hello all,

In my application a Landsat image appear coarse when viewed in pmapper, for the
same when viewed via cgi-bin. Could anyone help me on this?

CGI-BIN:
http://186.202.165.209/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/geofazendasmapas/config/default/geofazendasmapas.map&mode=map&layers=municipios+landsat7

Application: http://mapas.geofazendas.com.br/

Thanks in Advance,

--
*Marcello Benigno B. de Barros Filho*
Prof. do Curso Superior de Tecnologia em Geoprocessamento - IFPB

Re: [pmapper-users] Poor image quality on pmapper

Thomas
Hi,

You have to use the same outputformat than with your CGI:
http://svn.pmapper.net/trac/wiki/XmlFileSettings#map (search
"http://svn.pmapper.net/trac/wiki/XmlFileSettings#map" and "altImgFormat").

Thomas

Le 18/02/2014 12:58, Marcello Benigno a écrit :

> Hello all,
>
> In my application a Landsat image appear coarse when viewed in pmapper, for the
> same when viewed via cgi-bin. Could anyone help me on this?
>
> CGI-BIN:
> http://186.202.165.209/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/geofazendasmapas/config/default/geofazendasmapas.map&mode=map&layers=municipios+landsat7
>
> Application: http://mapas.geofazendas.com.br/
>
> Thanks in Advance,

Re: [pmapper-users] Poor image quality on pmapper

Armin Burger-2
Marcello

I can only confirm what Thomas wrote. I think the default outputformat
definition for PNG in p.mapper is 8-bit PNG, which is unsuitable for
data like satellite or aerial images since it has only 256 colors. For
imagery data you need to use either 24-bit PNG or JPEG. The first has
the advantage of better quality for overlaid vector data, the second the
much smaller file size that is transfered to the users.

Therefore the "altImgFormat" exists as alternative format in case a
certain layer is activated. So you could use e.g. PNG-8 for vector only
data, and PNG-24 or JPEG when the Landsat layer is activated. See also a
coarse description of output format and layers here

http://svn.pmapper.net/trac/wiki/FaqTips#Optimizationimageoutputformat:

I would guess the default PNG format for Mapserver (if not defined
differently via the map file) is PNG-24, and thus you get a good quality
image from Mapserver CGI.

Armin

On 02/18/2014 02:09 PM, Thomas RAFFIN wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You have to use the same outputformat than with your CGI:
> http://svn.pmapper.net/trac/wiki/XmlFileSettings#map (search
> "http://svn.pmapper.net/trac/wiki/XmlFileSettings#map" and "altImgFormat").
>
> Thomas
>
> Le 18/02/2014 12:58, Marcello Benigno a écrit :
>> Hello all,
>>
>> In my application a Landsat image appear coarse when viewed in pmapper, for the
>> same when viewed via cgi-bin. Could anyone help me on this?
>>
>> CGI-BIN:
>> http://186.202.165.209/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/geofazendasmapas/config/default/geofazendasmapas.map&mode=map&layers=municipios+landsat7
>>
>> Application: http://mapas.geofazendas.com.br/
>>
>> Thanks in Advance,

Re: [pmapper-users] Poor image quality on pmapper

Marcello Benigno
Thanks Thomas and Armin, I'll test.

Best